Saturday, July 26, 2008

Lightning Strike

Okay, so way back at the end of June it was raining, well storming. Not really a surprise it rains a lot in the South, especially during the summer. I was getting a show ready for the girls to watch and there was a really bright flash and a loud pop. Then my tv went off and the room smelled of melted plastic. I look into the kitchen and there are lights on. Not a good sign. So I grab the screaming girls and we head for the hall. I wait a few minutes for the storm to pass then head outside to inspect the house for damage. I can't make out where the lightning hit, but luckily happen upon my neighbors in their garage. Turns out they had some issues too. Ben is at work so my nice neighbors come in and flip all my circuit breakers back and get my refrigerators back on. Then I can turn the tv on, good sign...wait no cable...wait no wii...wait no internet. Ugh. Thank god for insurance! Because this is just the beginning. I spend the next week and a half calling repair men, taking the computer to Best Buy, and getting quotes on how much it will cost to fix everything. Then just as I think I have a complete list of everything something else turns up and something else and something else.

So I guess I learned that we have insurance for a reason and you really should unplug stuff when it is storming. Oh and while you are being safe, go ahead and stay home when the dryer is running.

No comments: