Saturday, October 18, 2008

It's Behind the Mustard

So remember when you were little and your older sister would make you go upstairs to get something they needed right that second. Then when you are up there searching for an eternity they threaten your life if you can't find it. You end up not finding it then they come in the room pick it right up off the shelf which they said it was on...you know right there behind the whatever. So things don't really change much as you grow up. I was at my friend Liz's house many years ago and she asked her husband to get something out of the fridge (which was nearly empty) and he said it wasn't there. She promptly walked to the fridge, moved the mustard and low and behold there it was. This often occurs around our house as well.

I have come to the conclusion that the reason the requester can always find the item is because the location is stored in their memory bank. They aren't actually searching for it. Not only that but they have the exact picture of it in their recent memory. I just wish my memory bank would update its self every time we move. So I guess the point is to be patient with your searcher.

2 comments:

Zadlo Trilogy said...

I have made an art of outlining items (like a dead body on pavement) where they belong and/or labeling everything. Call it ADD or being an r-tard, but it only works if I can remember to put things back where they belong. A place for everything and everything in its place. Maybe when you move, each closet has a title. The title remains the same in every house. If you don't have a similar location, call the old place anyhow. Like the "under the stair crap closet" you had in Goose Creek. Even if you don't have one, where ever your vacuum cleaner is you can call it the "under the stair crap-closet." Or not.
BTW, Sorry about the mustard lifetime traumatization. I cannot wait to make my amends to you. Love ya!

Zadlo Trilogy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.