Saturday, March 1, 2008

Parenting

I have been working on this post for months and I finally decided today to just post it. My Grandma Fran passed away last week and it made me appreciate my parents again. It may not be worded just right for as strongly as I feel, but writing really isn't my thing. So here goes...


So there is this weird thing that happens when you have your own kids...you learn to appreciate your parents in a new way. It is hard for me to believe that my parents could love me as much as I love my own kids, but they must have. How can you look down into the sweet innocent face of your baby and not fall in love. I'm also certain that I drove them crazy. I'm sure Ben drove Anita crazy because he quotes her as saying "Because I'm the Mom, that's why!" Nora is in the the "Why not?" stage...need I say more on this topic. (Since writing this Morgan has moved into it to)

I have also learned that nobody is perfect and they did the best they could, just as I am doing the best I can with my girls. There was a funny line it the new show Samantha Who? recently, about this very thing. The mom said, "Your lucky I'm not perfect, you'd have nowhere to go."

My goal is for my girls to laugh at least one time everyday. I wish I could also let them learn from my mistakes, but I know they will have to make some on their own. Just like I do.

The point of this post is to tell our parents that we love and appreciate you in ways you may never know. Thank you for being wonderful parents!

Ben and his mom Anita at our wedding

Me and my mom Katie at a fundraising event she was helping me with

My dad Marty and step mom Mary

Ben and his dad Mike at commissioning

3 comments:

Marly said...

This is a sweet post. It's so true. When we grow up and have a family of our own, we really appreciate our parents more. I miss my family so much and we can't wait to move closer. BTW, I posted some on my blog, go check it out. Talk to you soon.

Miranda at Marz Haus said...

This is very sweet and well-put! Very true.

Unknown said...

That's special Abby and thanks. I think family gets more important as we all experience life's lessons -I just got Nora's voice mail from Easter today and that was pretty special. It's kind of funny, there's a period in a parent/child relationship where I think everyone says "I've done enough and you're on your own" and then you get over that and can't seem to quite do enough. You guys are all extra special and thanks for being a big part of me - say hi to your mom,please, Mike