Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Valuable Lesson on Electric Heat Pumps

I am happy that this life lesson only cost me $55.00. At our last house we had a gas heater and they seem to be very different than electric heat pumps. We have vaulted ceilings and this might be part of the issue, but our upstairs is about 85 and downstairs is 65. Good thing the only time this is an issue is when it is is below 40 degrees outside and that doesn't happen very often here. Anyway, I went online and requested service from our home warranty company this weekend because the unit out back was running constantly and it took several hours for the house to warm up in the morning. Then in the afternoon when I got poor Morgan up from her nap she was sweating.

They sent Ed from First Priority Maintenance (843-761-0498) to fix my heater. Turns out there is nothing to fix on my heater, but he was very sweet about explaining to me how it worked without making me feel like an idiot. Turns out heat pumps only increase the air temp coming out of the vents by about 20 degrees, so if the air is cold going in then it doesn't feel hot coming out like it does with gas. He then recommended putting in a dampener that would automatically shut off the air to the upstairs vents when it was warm enough. Since we will only be here a year...I will just manually close the vents upstairs.

Unfortunately, he also pointed out that my air handler unit was rusty, which we knew and is why we have the home warranty...but they failed to mention I would need a larger opening than we currently have to replace it should the need arise. So let's just keep our fingers crossed!

No comments: