Monday, March 23, 2009

Gnats

Gnats have to be one of the most annoying creatures on this planet. We had them occasionally in South Carolina, but nothing like we have in Georgia. They swarm in huge clouds, get stuck in your ears, lip gloss, eyes, hair and everywhere else. It is amazing how a creature so dang tiny can inflict so much pain and itching on a grown person, not to mention poor Morgan (the bugs really love her). And for some reason bug spray, even 100% deet and skin so soft will not keep them off of you. I have grown to really appreciate a good breeze! I hear these terrible creatures disappear when the temperature stays above 78 degrees, so this summer when I'm blogging about how bloody hot it is just remind me that at least the gnats are gone.

You might be wondering why I bring this up today, well I'll tell you. Since Nora has started soccer Morgan and I are now stuck outside for an hour during dusk while Nora sits on the soccer field and picks flowers. Today Morgan and I were running laps to keep the bugs off. Maybe Nora playing soccer will keep me in shape too.

4 comments:

Misty said...

I once heard that the gnat is the state bird of Georgia. I think it's correct!

ronee said...

gnats are horrible..and the other day i found out..they don't really bite..they spit on you..and that reacts with your skins...as if them just being around wasn't enough..not they leave body fluids...YUCK!

The Huls Family said...

I am pretty sure, not to burst any bubbles, but the bugs are horrendous ALL summer long.... SORRY!

Kristy said...

They're in Maine too...especially if you live near a marsh. But in the northeast, greenhead flies ("greenies") are worse because they ruin all the fun on the beach. They bite...you can actually see their pinchers.