Thursday, March 12, 2009

Spring: The good, the bad, & the ugly

So Spring has definitely sprung in the South! The birds are chirping, the bugs are flying, the azaleas are beautiful and it has been absolutely gorgeous here lately. Sunny and 80 degrees! So I figured I had better get the yard work done while the warm weather is still exciting and before it gets too hot to go outside. I know some of you are like, I thought they bought that townhouse so they didn't have to do yard work?? Yes, but we still have to do the flower beds and there is a big one in the back that was overgrown. Morgan was sick this weekend (Sat-Mon with a stomach bug, yuck!) so in order to enjoy the day, but not share our germs we decided to hit the yard. I meant to do all this when my mom was here, but we were just too busy.

So I started on Sunday in the two small beds in the back and got through part of the big bed before the girls had had enough. The next day I finished pulling all the stuff out of the big bed. Tuesday we hit up Lowe's for some pots, soil, a few flowers, and a trellis. Then on Wednesday I bought the first 17 bags of mulch. Today I pulled all the weeds from the front and side and put down another 18 bags of mulch. Whew! No wonder I'm so sleepy!

So in the midst of all of this Nora made a new froggy friend which has now gone off to find more bugs in the woods and we had our first run in with a black snake. Man those things are FAST!!!! I don't know enough about snakes to know which ones are poisonous and those that aren't so I have a shovel on the back porch just in case. However, there is no chance I would have caught up with this one. Did I mention how fast he was? What about how long? Or how creepy???? Luckily we have wonderful neighbors like Mr. John, and Mike & Janet to bring a shovel too. Mike assured me this snake wouldn't hurt us, but I'm still not a fan. And I'm pretty sure I scared the girls for life because I came across this snake for the second time as I was coming back into the yard and it was in front of me. I ran like crazy to get between it and the girls and then started hollering at them to get in the house. Then Nora asked me if snakes tickle and I said no, they bite. I don't think they are too scared because they did go back out looking for the frog today, but I think the mulch made him move away...sorry Nora. At least I'm telling myself it was that and not our other visitor.


If you look closely you can see the flowers that Nora and Grandma planted

2 comments:

Miranda at Marz Haus said...

I'm so jealous of the weather, flowers and fun times with the girls. You can have the snake, though. Yikes.

Kristy said...

I'm jealous...but my tulips and daffodils are starting to poke through the ground so that's encouraging.